Go Green. Save Green.
An energy efficient home will keep you comfortable both physically and financially.
With lower bills, you will be able to afford the improvements necessary to make your home efficient in the first place. Thus, this process pays for itself over time, not to mention that prospective buyers will view your home’s energy efficiency as a positive attribute. According to a national survey of 116 single-family home builders, developers, and remodelers performed by McGraw Hill in 2013, 73% of those surveyed said that home buyers will pay more for a green home. With the average family paying $2200.00 a year in utility bills, it is just plain common sense to make your home energy-efficient so that it can be cost-efficient.
Even if you have the best furnace in the world, if your house is poorly insulated, or poorly maintained (especially if you have an older house, you could be inheriting years of neglect from previous owners), then you may as well be, as my mother would say, heating or cooling the neighborhood, not your home.
Here are ways to help you save money on energy:
- Install a programmable furnace to manage your temperature needs
- Make sure your household devices are turned off when not using them (this includes disconnecting them from the power strip, as they use energy when in standby mode)
- Investigate your house for cracks in the walls, windows, or seals. Investing in proper insulation and solid construction is essential to maintaining lower utility costs.
- Wash only full loads of clothes.
- Lower your thermostat on your water heater to 120°F
- Check to see that your windows are closed when heating or cooling your home
By just following a few tips in our energy saving guide, we can help you save money on your next heating or cooling bill. Furthermore, by reducing your ‘carbon footprint’ you are helping reduce harmful greenhouse gasses and are effectively making a personal contribution as a clean energy source to our national power grid. With energy use happening during every season, now is the time to make sure your home is as efficient as possible. Schedule a free consultation today to see how Atticare’s improvements can reduce your energy bill.