#1 Professional Solar Panel Installation
The Value of Investing in Solar Energy
As the cost of energy continues to rise along with growing concerns for the environment and clean renewable energy, more and more homeowners are outfitting their homes with solar energy systems. Whether your primary motivation is lowering your energy costs or your carbon footprint, installing solar panels is an excellent step toward energy independence.
Investing in solar energy has become such a growing trend in recent years because solar panels are affordable and easy to maintain. The sun is a reliable source of energy which you can depend on to power your home year-round and as soon as you install your solar energy system, you will begin reaping the benefits right away.
The certified energy experts at Atticare have been installing solar panels in the New Jersey, New York, greater Los Angeles, and San Francisco Bay areas for decades in an effort to make our clients more energy-independent. As long as you have access to the electrical grid, we can outfit your home with residential solar panels that allow you to take full advantage of this renewable power source.
Our mission is to make it as simple and affordable as possible for homeowners to take control of the energy they use and reduce dependence on the power company and their consistent rate increases. Our technicians handle everything from planning and helping you find tax credits to installation and inspections. Simply reach out to Atticare and we will accompany you through the entire process to ensure your system is fully functional and approved to operate by your local power energy provider.
The Benefits of Solar Panels
Investing in solar panels offers a whole host of benefits to homeowners:
- Return on investment – If you produce your own solar energy, you don’t have to pay your local utility company to provide it. This also reduces how much you’re affected by variable electricity costs in your region. You’ll save thousands in electricity costs during the 25 year lifetime of your system. The sooner you install, the sooner you’ll break even on your investment.
- Solar energy is clean energy – If you install solar panels, you’re producing clean, renewable energy from the sun. This means zero emissions and less pollution than is being generated by the power plants that power the majority of our nation. By taking action today, you’re offsetting the need for fossil fuel and contributing to conserving our environment and non-renewable fuel sources.
- Going solar means energy independence – With solar panels, you’re producing energy locally. This means you don’t have to rely on power from across town or across the globe. Not only do large energy providers engage in practices that are harmful for our environment, but they also have a monopoly over energy costs. Installing solar panels allows you to not have to participate in this industry or be subject to its terms and prices.
- The sun is a reliable energy source — Solar outranks wind and hydroelectric (water) power in terms of access and consistency. Wind and hydro turbines are efficient technologies, but they require more space and more costly infrastructure to reap the benefits. Since you can always depend on the sun to rise over your home, and solar power systems still draw energy on cloudy days, you’re never without an energy source (or the savings that come along taking advantage of it).
- Solar Panels increase your property value – Thanks to all these benefits, properties with solar panels are more attractive to potential buyers. Studies have shown that solar-powered homes sell for 3-4% more than others. As energy costs and environmental concerns continue to grow, so will this number. If you’re thinking about selling your home in the future, now is the time to invest in solar. The longer the panels are installed, the larger the potential return.
- Solar energy is financially incentivized – Federal Solar tax credit (ITC) allows you to deduct 26% of the cost of installing a solar energy system from your federal taxes. You can think of this as a 26% discount on the costs of going solar. Unfortunately, the ITC won’t be available forever – it shrank from 30% (2019) to 26% in 2020. As of now, it is set to disappear altogether for homeowners in 2023 unless the program is renewed. It’s important to take advantage of the solar tax credit as soon as you can as its continued benefits are subject to change.
How the Solar Federal Tax Credit (ITC) Works
The Investment Tax Credit, or ITC, returns 26% percent of your total solar installation costs back to you in the form of a credit on your federal tax returns. In other words, taking advantage of this tax credit translates to paying 26% less on your initial solar investment.
One important aspect to keep in mind is that homeowners are only eligible for the ITC only if they own their solar panel system. This means those who are leasing the system itself or signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) can not take advantage of this credit.
There’s no monetary limit on how much you can claim with the ITC, but because it’s a credit and not a refund, you can’t get more back in a single year than you owe in federal taxes. Instead, the remainder of your credit will roll over into the next year.
Example: If your system cost $25,000, then you’re eligible for 26% percent, or $6500, of that total amount as a tax credit. If you only owe $5,000 in federal taxes that year, then that full amount will be covered and $1,500 of your refund will be carried over to the following year.
Homeowners should know that the Federal tax credit won’t be available after 2022 and therefore, it’s important to take advantage of it while it lasts.
How Solar Panels Work
Beyond just helping our customers to become energy-independent and save on their utility bills, we also want to educate them on their investment before they make it. The most notable and familiar part of a solar energy system are the solar panels, which appear to the casual observer like a series of tinted glass windows on the roof of your home. However, the entire system is made up of a few other components which all work together to harvest solar energy and convert it into usable electricity.
Let’s briefly discuss the various components of a solar energy system and how they work together to power your home:
- Solar panels: Photons from sunlight hit the surface of the panels. Inside the array of panels are many tiny photovoltaic cells with layers of semiconducting materials and metals. Electrons are released from these materials as they interact with the incoming photons, producing direct current (DC) electricity. The larger your array of panels, the more capacity you have to capture the photons and produce DC electricity.
- Inverter: Your solar system comes equipped with a device that converts the energy output into a usable form for your home. Your home itself is powered by alternating current (AC) electricity, so the inverter’s role is to convert the DC electricity released by the panels into AC power.
- Electric box: The AC electricity moves to your breaker box, which distributes it to all your lights, appliances and other electrically powered items throughout every room of your house.
- Unused electricity: Solar panels continue to generate electricity even when you’re not using energy, creating leftover power. If you have net metering, that excess electricity gets sent back to the grid and returned to you as credit toward your utility bill. The only time you will pay for electricity is when the amount you generate is less than the amount it takes to power your home, making solar one of the most viable, affordable ways to reduce your energy bills.
The Solar Panel Installation Process
At Atticare, we make the solar panel installation process as simple and straightforward as possible by handling as much of it for you as we can:
- Initial Consultation & Estimate – One of our solar experts will visit your property to assess your home and roof, take measurements and provide an estimate for the number of panels it can support. We will also discuss any tax credits or savings you may be eligible for that could reduce the total installation cost.
- Roof repairs (if necessary) – Many roofs are in sufficient condition to support the extra weight of solar panels. However, there are some instances in which repairs will need to be made before the installation and in some rare cases, the roof may need to be replaced altogether.
- System Installation – On the scheduled date, our team will install the solar panels and inverter and make sure the current is properly running to your electrical breaker box. At this point, the solar panels will be ready to power your home.
- Final Inspection – Since your home’s solar energy system will be connected to the local power grid (in most cases), a representative from your local energy provider will need to conduct an inspection and approve the installation. Should the provider raise any concerns, our team will address them to make sure you can start enjoying the benefits of your new solar energy system as quickly as possible.
Why You Should Choose Atticare for Solar Energy
Atticare is a fully licensed and insured solar panel installer with ample experience helping homeowners on both US coasts to save money and create more energy-independent, healthy, and comfortable home environments. We have a 98.8% satisfaction rate amongst our clientele and have been Diamond Certified because of our reputation for excellent workmanship and superior customer service.
If you are in the market for a reliable, affordable solar panel installation contractor in Los Angeles, New York, New Jersey, or the San Francisco Bay Area, look no further than Atticare! Schedule a free consultation today by sending us a message or calling us at 1-866-692-5449.
Don’t just take it from us! Check out some testimonials from clients who worked with us and can tell you themselves.
Fill out the form below OR call us now to schedule a FREE consultation
Explore Our Resources
A Beginners’ Guide To Crawl Space Cleaning in San Leandro, California
You may have heard of crawl space cleaning or been told to have it performed in your attic, but you need to figure
Pros and Cons: A Guide To Choosing Attic Insulation Replacement
Attic insulation is something that is a necessity for the welfare of your home. It is your home’s sweater in the winter and its fan in
5 Benefits of Attic Cleaning in San Leandro, California
Americans spend about 6 hours per week cleaning their homes, but this rarely includes the attic. Attics are oft-ignored spots in our homes, places