Frequently Asked Questions
Attic & Crawl Space Cleaning
The exact attic and crawl space cleaning process varies slightly according to how thoroughly you would like us to clean and what issues we uncover once we empty and inspect it. However, the general process consists of the following steps:
- Insulation & Waste/Debris Removal
- Sanitization & Decontamination (optional)
- Rodent Proofing (optional)
- Air Sealing (required by CA law, optional in other locations)
- Air Duct Repair & Replacement (optional)
- Insulation Installation
As you can see, several of these steps may or may not be required in your particular space. We may remove the insulation and find holes where rodents could enter or damage to your air ducts that you may want to have fixed while the attic or crawl space is empty and clean. We will bring any potential issues to your attention as we discover them and together, we can work out the best approach to handling them.
It is possible to clean these areas yourself, just as it is possible to fix your own car or an electrical problem in your home. Trying to do it on your own comes with a certain level of risk both to yourself and your home, and if you do not have the expertise, you risk not identifying or addressing all the issues that a professional would.
Just walking in your attic and taking one wrong step can send you tumbling through the ceiling, causing physical harm to you and costing you a bundle in repairs. It is all too common that such incidents occur when a homeowner is simply trying to remove an item stored in their attic. We highly recommend sparing yourself the hassle and potential danger of attempting these tasks yourself by hiring a professional who knows how to perform them safely and effectively.
The cleaning process varies in duration depending on the size of your attic and crawl space, their condition and whether or not you would also like to receive additional services like sanitization and decontamination, rodent proofing, air sealing etc. once your current insulation has been removed. Many cleanings can be completed in a day, but we may uncover issues you would like remedied that could add an additional day or two to the timeframe.
The cost of an attic or crawl space cleaning depends on their size and condition as well as whether you want us to perform a basic cleaning or address any additional issues we uncover in the process of emptying them.
For the most accurate possible estimate, it’s best to book a free consultation with Atticare by filling out our contact form or calling 1-866-692-5449. However, we may be able to provide you with a ballpark estimate over the phone if you are able to provide us with a few basic details about your attic and/or crawl space.
In general, insulation works to stabilize your home’s indoor climate by slowing conductive (transferred through solids, like your ceiling) and convective (through air, like your attic and crawl space) heat flow in and out of these areas. You lose the majority of energy used to heat or cool your home through the roof and the floor. Therefore, making sure both of these parts of your home are properly insulated go a long way to conserving energy usage and maintaining a comfortable temperature.
Water is a conductor, which means that it works in opposition to insulation, which slows conductive heat flow. Insulation that gets wet is significantly less effective or even useless depending how soaked it is. If it is just a bit damp, you may be able to salvage it with a dehumidifier. However, the real question is “why is it wet and where is the moisture coming from?”
If you notice your attic or crawl space insulation is damp or wet, we suggest you contact Atticare at 1-866-692-5449 to come inspect the damage to the insulation as well as to pinpoint the source of the excess moisture. From there, we can figure out the most efficient and cost-effective solution to the problem.
Insulation can turn black for two primary reasons. The first is that if there is air leaking from the space and the insulation is working as a filter, catching all the dirt, debris and dust being pulled toward the source of the leak. In this case, you may be able to keep using the insulation, but you should consider having the attic sealed to prevent losing energy and further polluting the insulation.
The second culprit is mold. Black mold spores begin to show up on attic or crawl space insulation when there is an excess amount of moisture in the area. We typically recommend replacing insulation that has been infested with mold because even if the insulation and space is dried, the spores can still become airborne and spread. This can lead to further infestations and cause significant health problems for you and your loved ones.
If you notice your attic or crawl space insulation is turning black, contact us right away by sending us a message or by calling 1-866-692-5449. The Atticare team can determine the cause, address it, and replace the contaminated insulation if necessary.
If your attic or crawl space has not been properly maintained for years or the insulation hasn’t been replaced in a decade, there’s a good chance installing new, high-quality insulation could make your home more energy-efficient and improve indoor air quality. Our technicians can also provide a thorough inspection in which they will look for other signs that indicate the installation should be replaced:
- Water damage
- Air ducts damage
- Mold and mildew
- Pest and rodent infestation
- Old or worn-out insulation
If you have noticed any of these signs yourself or are considering upgrading your insulation for other reasons, schedule a free consultation with one of Atticare’s insulation specialists by filling out our contact form or calling 1-866-692-5449.
There is not necessarily a “best” type of insulation to choose as much as there is one that would be most suitable for your space according to its size and dimensions. Every home is different and some benefit more from one kind of insulation than another. The Atticare team can help you choose the best option based on your home and budget following an on-site inspection of the space.
The cost of new insulation depends on the size of the space and which insulation material you choose to have installed. We can provide you with a rough estimate over the phone if you can share some details with us about the space, but for the most accurate estimate, schedule a free in-home consultation by sending us a message or by calling 1-866-692-5449.
If you are experiencing any of the following problems in your home, it could likely benefit from air sealing:
- Drafty rooms
- Hot and cold rooms, including uneven temperatures between rooms
- High heating or cooling bills
- Ice dams in the winter
- Dry indoor air in the winter
- Dust (especially in rooms directly below the attic)
These symptoms typically indicate that your attic has gaps and spaces that are creating drafts and need to be sealed.
First, our team removes everything from your attic, including the current insulation. That way we can meticulously search every nook and cranny to find cracks and gaps through which air might be leaking through. Then, we address each of these problem areas by sealing them with either foam or caulking, both of which harden and become air-tight.
If your attic is not properly sealed, it could be allowing air (and energy) to escape, causing an increase in your monthly utility bills and making it more difficult to achieve a stable, comfortable indoor climate. A few cracks may not seem like a big deal, but they could cost you hundreds of dollars over time if not dealt with properly. Atticare can conduct a full inspection of your attic and other areas through which air might escape to help save you money, reduce your energy usage, and achieve greater comfort in your home.
That all depends on how you define “necessary”. Sure, your house will still function if your attic is not sealed, but you may also end up paying far more than necessary due to increased energy usage. California’s “Title 24” building code actually requires contractors to perform air sealing whenever insulation is removed because of how greatly it can improve energy-efficiency. We strongly recommend to all of our clients that they opt to have their attics air sealed because the savings on energy usage alone will more than offset the initial investment.
Rodent Proofing & Prevention
At the risk of stating the obvious, you should definitely consider rodent proofing your home if you have experienced any rodent infestations. You should also consider calling in a pest removal company if you notice signs of their presence (chewed insulation or wiring, droppings, etc.). Once you have had a professional rodent or pest removal company make sure your home is rodent free, Atticare can step in to block off any potential entrances so they are unable to return.
At Atticare, we have learned through years of experience that using traps and chemicals that harm or kill rodents can make the problem worse. The last thing you want is a dead rodent trapped behind your wall and emitting a foul odor.
Thus, we use a one-time, subscription free approach that is safe for your pets, small children, the environment, and even the rodents themselves. Instead of pesticides or traps, we pinpoint all the places in your attic and crawl space through which rodents could enter and create blockades from mesh and wire. Unlike other methods, there’s no need to worry about spraying chemicals periodically or checking traps because the rodents never make their way into your home in the first place!
Rodent proofing is a rather simple and affordable process, but it does require us to empty out and clean your attic or crawl space so we can thoroughly search every nook and cranny for places where rodents could squeeze through. Give us a call at 1-866-692-5449 or send us a message and we can provide you with a rough estimate based on the details you provide about your home.
Crawl Space Vapor Barrier
Don’t let the fancy name mislead you. Crawl space vapor barriers are simply a sheet of industrial-grade polyethylene (a common plastic) that is laid along the ground of your crawl space and secured to the bases of the foundation walls. Though the technology is simple, it does require some expertise to both prepare the space and properly install the vapor barrier so that it works properly.
As the name suggests, it creates a barrier between the ground and your home so that moisture evaporating from the dirt is unable to collect within the crawl space, causing rot, mold, and other kinds of structural damage that can end up costing you a fortune in repairs. In addition to protecting your home, it also creates a dry environment that can be put to use as extra storage space without you having to worry that your belongings will be ravaged by mold and mildew.
Though the barrier itself is affordable, it’s possible that in the process of installing it, we uncover wet insulation or hidden mold damage in your crawl space that should be remedied before the vapor barrier goes in. Installing the barrier without first handling these issues would only trap the moisture that has penetrated your foundation. Therefore, cost can only be determined on a crawl space by crawl space basis.
However, the Atticare team has extensive experience in dealing with these issues and we can likely provide you with a rough estimate if you can tell us a little about your crawl space. For a more accurate estimate, schedule an in-home consultation at 1-866-692-5449 or send us a message through our website.
QuietCool Whole House Fan Installation
The QuietCool Whole House Fan provides the following benefits to homeowners:
- Cooling – The QuietCool pulls fresh air from outside in through the windows, cooling and ventilating the living space and flushing the heat out of the attic. Your home will feel 5-10 ºF cooler right away!
- Ventilation – The fan improves the indoor air quality by expelling cooking odor, pet dander, smoke, germs, gasses, and other unwanted airborne annoyances
- Energy-Efficiency – QuietCool reduces the need for A/C for the majority of the day. Anytime it is cooler outside than inside, run your QuietCool system and lower your A/C cost by up to 50-90%!
- Industry-Leading Warranty – The Pro Series models (the Trident Pro & Stealth Pro) both come with a 15-year warranty on their motors
The cost of the QuietCool system and installation vary depending on the size of your home, which will dictate which model would best suit it.
To discuss the details of your home and figure out which model is best for your household, call Atticare at 1-866-692-5449 or send us a message through our website and we can provide you with a more accurate estimate.
Radiant Barrier Installation
A radiant barrier is a reflective cover, usually made of aluminum, that is installed on the underside of your roof (the ceiling of the attic). It works by reflecting the heat from the sun back outside rather than allowing it to enter your indoor living environment. Reducing heat gain in this way reduces the need for air conditioning and helps achieve a more stable, comfortable temperature inside.
Radiant barriers are not only useful in the summer, but in the winter months as well. The heat reflected back toward your roof helps prevent ice buildup that can damage the roof. They also help your heat remain indoors during the colder months.
Installing a radiant barrier in your attic provides the following benefits:
- Helps maintain a more stable, comfortable indoor climate
- Saves you money on heating and cooling costs year-round
- Reduces heat gain in your attic
- Reduces energy usage in the warmer and colder months
- Protects your HVAC and other systems in your attic
- Prevents damage to your roof and the rest of your home
A radiant barrier is an extremely affordable investment considering the money you will start saving on energy right away. The exact cost of the installation depends on the size and dimensions of your attic as well as whether or not any preparations have to be made for it to function properly.
The best way to assess the condition of your roof is to have a roofing contractor conduct a thorough inspection both outside and in your attic. However, the following signs indicate that the time to replace your roof may be approaching quickly:
- Water damage and stains: Multiple leaks in the roof can lead to brownish spots on the ceiling, rotting wood in the structure and other exterior discoloration where rainwater did not properly redirect.
- Missing or damaged shingles: Occasionally severe storms and even pests can dislodge your roof shingles. These bare or broken spots might look unsightly, but worse, they open vulnerabilities to the material underneath.
- Age of the roof: Throughout the years, your roof wears down from constant exposure to the wind and rain, so it’s only natural that you must eventually replace it. For example, an average asphalt roof lasts for about 15 to 20 years. Whether your existing roof’s warranty has expired, or you’re unsure about when the last homeowner installed it, you should consider a roof replacement
- Dull appearance: Replacing fading, worn, crooked or curling shingles can recapture the character of your home, distinguish you from your neighbors and boost your property value. Investing in a new roof should be a feature you’re proud of.
The exact timeline changes based on the size and dimensions of your roof as well as the type of roofing materials you choose. Most roof installations can be completed in a few days, but larger homes or unexpected roof delays could cause the installation to last up to two weeks.
The roof you choose will depend on the style of home you have, the aesthetic that fits your taste, and your budget. However, if you are in the market for a roof that is durable, will save you money on energy bills, and looks fantastic, we recommend the Total Protection Cool Roof by Owens Corning®. It comes with a 50-year industry-leading warranty and $0 down financing options through Atticare.
The cost of a new roof depends on a number of factors, including the surface area of your roof and the roofing materials you choose. We can provide you with a ballpark estimate over the phone or you can schedule a free in-person consultation with Atticare by calling 1-866-692-5449.
Going solar has a whole host of benefits for homeowners:
- Savings on utility bills – If you produce your own solar energy, you don’t have to buy it from your utility. This also reduces how much you’re affected by variable electricity costs in your region. You’ll save thousands in electricity costs during the 25 year lifetime of your system.
- Eco-friendly energy – If you install solar panels, you’re producing clean, renewable electricity from the sun. This means zero emissions and less pollution.
- Energy independence – With solar panels, you’re producing energy locally. This means you don’t have to rely on power from across town or across the globe that changes in cost in a way you have no control over.
- Reliable energy source — Solar outranks wind and hydroelectric (water) power in terms of access and consistency. Because you can always depend on the sun to rise over your home, and solar power systems can still draw energy on cloudy days, you’re never without energy (or savings).
- Federally subsidized through tax breaks – The Federal Solar tax credit (ITC) allows you to deduct 26% of the cost of installing a solar energy system from your federal taxes. You can think of this as a 26% discount on the costs of going solar. Unfortunately, the ITC won’t be available forever – it shrank from 30% (2019) to 26% in 2020 and will disappear altogether for homeowners in 2022, so take advantage while you still can!
- Increased property value – Studies have shown that solar-powered homes sell for 3-4% more than others. If you’re thinking about selling your home in the future, now is the time to install solar panels.
Photons from sunlight hit the surface of the panels and electrons are released from the materials inside of them, producing direct current (DC) electricity. The larger your array, the more cells and DC.
Your solar panels are connected to a device that converts the energy output into a usable form for your home. The DC flows to the inverter and switches to alternating current (AC). The AC electricity moves to your breaker box that connects all your lights, appliances and other wired objects throughout every room of your house.
Solar panels continue to generate electricity even when you’re not at home, which creates leftover power. If you have net metering, that excess gets sent back to the grid and returned to you as credits to pay portions of your bill. You’ll spend on power only when you actually need it, making solar one of the most economical energy choices.
The installation process typically takes around 2-3 weeks. This timeframe may change slightly depending how quickly your power company is to come and inspect the system and approve it. There may also be slight delays if the electrical breaker in your home needs to be upgraded to accommodate the new system.
It depends on your roof’s current condition and what it is made out of. Solar panels can only be installed on certain materials and on a roof that can support them.
If you are interested in having solar panels installed, the roofing and solar experts at Atticare can provide you with a free in-home consultation to determine if your roof must be repaired or replaced before the solar installation. Schedule a consultation by calling us at 1-866-692-5449 or messaging us here.
The cost of your solar system will depend on how many panels your roof can hold as well as if any upgrades to the roof or electrical system need to be made in order to accommodate your panels.
Window technology has evolved a lot in recent years and if your windows have not been upgraded in the past 10-15 years, you could probably stand to save a lot of money on energy costs by installing new ones.
Other signs that indicate it may be time for an upgrade include:
- Faulty operation
- Cold drafts
- Increased energy bills
- Excessive condensation between the panes
- Water damage and decay on the frames
- Loud outdoor noise
Aside from remedying any obvious issues your windows are having, installing new, high-quality windows:
- Decrease your utility bills: By having new windows professionally installed, you can eliminate drafts and seal in hot or cold air that would otherwise leak out.
- Improve your home’s acoustics: Sound transmission is influenced by the thickness and quality of the glass, in addition to the sealing. There are even windows designed specifically to reduce outdoor noise pollution!
- Add privacy, beauty and style: Whether you’re after an elegant design or upgraded visibility, you can find one that fits both your home and personal taste.
- Increase indoor natural light: Spacious windows will illuminate your home during the day with less need to turn on lamps and lighting fixtures, lowering your energy usage.
The windows you choose will depend on your needs, personal taste and budget. The window professionals at Atticare can help you make the perfect selection from the following options:
- Vinyl: Cutting-edge, energy-saving insulated glass with breathtaking designs and appearances. Vinyl windows are known for being low-maintenance and only need an occasional wash to look their best.
- Fiberglass: Exceptionally strong against breakage and natural elements like moisture, salt air, ultraviolet light, pests and temperature extremes. These are a great choice if you are looking for windows that are going to last.
- Wooden or wood-clad: A charming combination of historic wooden architecture and the benefits of modern glass technology. You can preserve the traditional, unique aesthetic of your home with a natural wood window frame with plenty of stain and color options to complement your exterior.
Exterior Paint & Coatings
Absolutely. At Atticare, everything we do is centered around helping our clients make investments that will save them money down the line. For this reason, we offer the Cool Life™ coating system, which reflects heat and can help you reduce your energy bills by up to 21%!
The exact duration will vary depending on the size of your home, but we are able to complete most homes between a few days and a week.
The cost of paint, coating and labor vary depending on the size of your home and the type of paint and coating you choose. Atticare can provide you with a rough estimate based on the square footage of your home, but to receive a more accurate estimate, schedule a free in-person consultation here or by calling 1-866-692-5449.
Disinfection & Sanitization Services
Atticare offers same-day local service for businesses in the Los Angeles, New Jersey and San Francisco Bay Areas. We have a decade of experience servicing businesses in these communities with our non-toxic, affordable and effective approach. You can save even more time by answering a few basic questions about your space here and we will get back to you with a free quote in less than 30 seconds!
Atticare has over a decade of experience providing these services to local businesses. We use the latest technology of atomizing foggers that are safe and highly effective on any type of surface, leaving it free of bacteria, mold, viruses, mildew & odor. Our approach involves using non-caustic/corrosive cleaners that kill 99.9% of germs, bacteria, viruses (including COVID-19), Hepatitis B & C, Herpes, Simplex Virus, and more. Every method we use is EPA and CDC-approved so you can be sure they are safe for humans, pets and the environment.
You can receive a free estimate by providing a few basic details about your business here!