If you’re a homeowner, you may consider a new roof to add value to your home. Some of the benefits of roof replacement include that it:
- Increases property value
- Yields a high return on investment (ROI)
- Improves curb appeal
- Makes the home more energy-efficient
- Provides a healthy and safe environment
- Creates a modern exterior
Whether you want to refinance your home, put it on the market, or simply provide a better environment for your family, consider updating your roof. You should consult with a professional roofing company to find out how to replace your old roof for one that will increase your property’s resale value.
Does a New Roof Add Value to My Home?
A new roof increases the property value of a house. If you’re thinking about refinancing or selling your home, you should consider replacing your roof first. Your house is one of the biggest investments you’ll have in your life, so you should make sure you get the most out of it when you sell it.
Studies show that a new roof adds thousands of dollars to a home’s value. According to the 2019 Remodeling Impact Report from the National Association of REALTORS® Research Group, REALTORS® rank new roofing as the part of the home that most appeals to potential home buyers. The report also reveals that new roofing will produce the highest resale value out of any home improvement.
As a result of choosing a roof replacement project, the subjects surveyed reported increased contentment with the quality of their homes.
- 65% have a greater desire to be home since replacing their roof.
- 75% have a higher sense of accomplishment since adding a new roof to their home.
- 49% enjoy their homes more now that they have a new roof.
Additionally, 39% of REALTORS® recommend replacing the roof before putting your house on the market, and 33% of sellers claimed that replacing their roof helped close the sale of their home.
Most potential home buyers appreciate the time and effort you put into installing a new roof. Buyers want a move-in ready home, and after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a new home, they would rather spend money on minimal updates than taking on a massive roof project. While a new roof does add value to the home, the resale value of your new roof depends on:
- Your current roof’s condition: As weather or wear and tear damages your roof, its value decreases. You can drastically increase the resale value of your home by updating your old, worn-out roof with a brand-new roof. You should inspect the roof twice a year — once in the fall and once in the spring — to maintain its value. You’ll want to invest in a new roof if your current roof is rotting, missing shingles or allowing water damage to leak into your house.
- The current housing market: Depending on where you live, your region’s housing market can affect the resale value of a roof replacement. You can consult with a local appraiser or real estate agent about how much your house will be worth after adding a new roof.
- Your choice of replacement roofing material: Consider the material you use for your roof renovation project. While high-end, luxury roofing material like metal may cost more, cheaper roofing material like asphalt will also increase the value of your property. You can decide how much to spend on your roofing material based on the other homes in your neighborhood. If all the other homes in your neighborhood have more cost-effective roofs, installing cost-effective roofing material will have the same effect on your home’s resale value than more expensive roofing material.
If you live in New Jersey, Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area, our team at Atticare can help you decide how to get the most value out of your roof renovation project. We’ll inspect and replace your roof with your budget and time in mind. You can use our Atticare Better Quote Tool to compare prices in your local area to get the best investment for your money.
How Much Return on Investment (ROI) Can a New Roof Yield?
While a new roof costs several thousand dollars, it’s also a great investment for your home. You can earn back the money you spent on your roof with the increase in your home’s resale value from a new roof. The 2019 Remodeling Impact Survey also reports that the average roof replacement ROI is 107%. A study by Remodeling Magazine reveals that in California, the resale value for a new asphalt roof is 9.5% higher than the national average.
When it’s time to put the house on the market, your roof will be a huge selling factor. Since a roof takes up about half the exterior of your living space, potential home buyers will notice your newly updated roof and want to place an offer. Most potential home buyers would rather skip the time and money it would take to build a new roof, so they appreciate when you take on the project instead.
Besides resale value, your new roof can help you save money on:
- Energy bills: Your roof will help regulate the temperature in your home, allowing your HVAC system to work efficiently.
- Home insurance: A new roof will be free from leaks and damage, so you will have a safer, more reliable property. Depending on your home insurance policy, a roof upgrade may give you a discount on your premium. Sometimes, an insurance company will refuse to renew a policy if the roof is older than 20 years.
- Repairs: A roof is expected to last at least 30 years. If you have a new roof, you can save money you would normally spend replacing shingles.
Increase the return of investment on your renovation project by allowing our team at Atticare to inspect and replace your roof. We will provide an honest estimate of your roof upgrade. With our competitive prices, you will make the best investment by choosing us for your roofing and attic needs.
How Does a New Roof Improve Curb Appeal?
One of the benefits of replacing your roof is an enhancement of your curb appeal. Since your roof makes up a large percentage of your house’s exterior appearance, you should install a roof that invites people inside. Potential home buyers will feel comfortable inside your house if your roof has complete shingles and a clean presentation.
If you update your roof, you have a higher chance of selling your home. A new roof will be distinct from worn-out roofs on your block that have:
- Missing shingles: Due to weather or pest damage, an old roof may be missing shingles. If your roof has old shingles, you can update your shingles or replace your whole roof to prevent pests from scurrying into your attic.
- Water damage: Missing shingles can also cause water to leak into the roof, down into the attic and then spread throughout the walls and foundation of the home. You can replace your roof shingles or update your whole roof to fix any leaks or cracks.
- Overall wear and tear: While efficient roofing material can last decades, you may notice decay in a roof at around 10-15 years old. If your roof is more than 15 years old, you should schedule an appointment with a roofing professional to find out if you need a new roof.
- Rusted flashing: Flashing is the metal around chimneys, vent pipes and skylights on a roof. If the metal is rusted, your roof may be prone to leaks and further water damage. In addition to upgrading your roof, a professional roofing company should also know how to replace your roof’s flashing.
- Ice dams: While icicles may look pretty in the winter, they are a sign of a damaged roof. As heat rises out of the house, it melts the snow, sending an excess amount of water into the gutters. When the temperature drops, the water on your roof turns to ice. You can prevent these ice dams from damaging your roof and gutters by repairing your roof in the fall.
Besides protecting your property from damage, you can also improve the home’s curb appeal by making cosmetic changes to your roof. Make your roof’s color complement the rest of your exterior design and choose a simple layout that will appeal to your visitors’ eyes.
Our team at Atticare can help you increase your property’s curb appeal. We will inspect your roof for any damage and help you improve the look of your home.
Does Updating My Roof Make My Home More Energy-Efficient?
Whether you encounter frigid New Jersey winters or hot California summers, your roof should be able to withstand extreme temperatures and keep your living space comfortable at all times. Roofing material is now more energy-efficient, saving you money on your home’s electricity bill. A roof replacement can increase your home’s energy efficiency.
- Temperature regulation: On a hot summer day, when the sun is at its strongest, your roof is absorbing a tremendous amount of heat. As a result, heat can leak into your living space and make the HVAC system work harder to maintain a cool environment. Energy-efficient shingles can reflect solar heat to regulate your home’s temperature. In the summer, your roof will protect the rest of your house from hot weather. In the winter, your roof will allow warm air to circulate throughout the house and keep out drafts. A new roof is as important as installing new windows and insulation for controlling airflow.
- Ventilation: Energy-efficient roofs prevent air from leaking into or out of your home. As a result of heat escaping through the roof, homes in colder states such as New Jersey can experience ice dam buildup on their roofs and gutters. Ice dams form when heat melts the snow off of the roof and the dripping water turns to ice. Let Atticare help you prevent ice dam buildup on your roof with our energy-efficient roofing material and attic insulation.
- Color: Lighter colors tend to reflect the sun’s rays better than darker colors. However, newer shingles are more energy-efficient, so even darker shingles may effectively resist solar heat.
- Cost-effectiveness: Since your roof regulates the temperature of your living space, you can save energy for your HVAC system to efficiently keep your home at a comfortable temperature.
- Protection of the environment: Most electricity is produced with fossil fuels that emit carbon dioxide, a gas that can be toxic to humans at high quantities. Energy-efficient roofs will require less electricity to control the temperature of the house, so you will provide cleaner air for the environment.
To maximize the energy-efficiency of your roof, you should install or replace the insulation in your attic. Insulation can prevent drafts or warm air from entering your home. At Atticare, we provide attic insulation for the San Francisco Bay Area, the New Jersey Area and the Los Angeles Area. Use our savings calculator to find out how much money you can save in energy costs if you update your insulation.
We strive to make our new roofing material energy-efficient, saving both the environment and your money. If you live in our service areas, call us for an estimate on your roofing project.
How Does a New Roof Make My Home Healthier and Safer?
Along with becoming more energy-efficient, newer homes can also provide health benefits to your family. While “green” homes typically refer to your home’s impact on the environment, we also need healthy homes to improve our psychological and physical health. Your roof can help create a safe, healthy space to relax after a stressful day at work or school.
A newly updated roof can provide a healthy environment for your family, including:
- Healthy, clean air: Over time, as water leaks into old roofs, your roof and attic can develop mold and mildew. Since your HVAC system is typically in your attic, mold, mildew and algae can easily spread through the vents and reduce the air quality of your vents. Your family can suffer from allergies or respiratory illnesses from breathing in these bacteria. A new roof can block water from entering your living space and can help prevent mold and mildew buildup.
- A safe environment to walk and live: If your roof leaks, you may develop puddles in your home, creating a slippery floor and damaging your valuable possessions. Puddles can also destroy loose wires and electronics, potentially causing electrocution. Old roofs can even collapse under the weight of a severe weather storm, including snow and flooding. A sturdy roof will ensure that your family will be safe from puddles and potential roofs collapsing.
- Peace of mind: A clean, updated roof will make your whole family feels safe. At the end of a long day, your family wants to come home to a comfortable environment. When your roof is working properly, you will be confident in the structure of the walls and the quality of the air. You should inspect your roof at least twice a year to provide long-term peace of mind for you and your family.
An affordable home can be a healthy home with the right safety precautions. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provides some tips for providing a healthy environment for your family. One of those tips is to repair any cracks or leaks in our roofs.
If you’re going to replace your roof to give your family a healthier environment, you should also consider updating your attic. Since your attic is right below the roof, if there are any problems, your attic will be the first to experience damage. Attic insulation can deteriorate over time, so you need new insulation in your attic to maximize your property’s protection.
Let the professionals at Atticare inspect your roof and attic for any mold, mildew or damage. We can also add insulation to your attic to further protect your roof and control the airflow in your home.
How Can I Design My Home With a New Modern Look?
If you update your roof, you can give your home a new modern look. With the latest materials available, you can keep up with modern trends in exterior home design. Creating a modern look can also increase your property’s resale value, attracting potential home buyers and allowing you to have a sense of accomplishment of your living space.
While people tend to think of updating their home by applying a fresh coat of paint or replacing the windows, a new roof can also give your house a more updated look. You can also add other features to your home, like a skylight, while you’re updating your roof.
Updating your roof’s color or adding design elements can dramatically improve the overall appearance of your exterior home design. You can follow these tips to give your home a modern new look:
- Match your roof’s color with the rest of your exterior home design: Your roof should complement the theme of your home. If you want a modern look, make sure the rest of your house looks modern as well. You can design a more uniformed look by matching your roof’s color with your garage door and your main entry door. Keep in mind that you could easily repaint siding, so you should choose a shingle color first and then paint your siding to complement the roof.
- Coordinate with the rest of the homes in your neighborhood: Your home can stand out from the rest of the homes in your neighborhood while also matching the theme of your block. Potential home buyers will appreciate the uniformity of your block and feel more at home if your roof looks similar to those of your neighbors.
- Choose roof colors that complement your home’s natural climate: In the north, the sky looks blue and cool. The further south you go, the more red and warm the sky looks. If you live in the north, like New Jersey, you can use coastal blue shingles. If you live in Los Angeles in Southern California, you can make your roof orange or red.
- Add a roof to create a porch or patio: One modern trend in exterior design is to consider your backyard another room in the house. You can create an outdoor living room in your backyard to enjoy the warm summer sun and provide an airy meeting space for your guests. Adding a roof to your porch in the front or patio in the back can provide shade for your outdoor living space and make it a more inviting place to relax.
We have a wide selection of roofing material to create a modern look for your home. We also provide a 10-year manufacturer warranty on your roof so your modern look can stay updated for a decade.
Atticare Will Help You Add Value to Your Home With a New Roof
Are you ready for a new roof? Our team at Atticare is here to answer all of your questions about installing a new roof on your home. We provide installation and inspection services for homeowners in the Los Angeles Area, the San Francisco Bay Area and the New York/New Jersey Area. For extra protection, we also offer attic inspection and repair. Contact us on our website or call 1-888-743-7243 for more information.